I decided to wrap the rear view mirrors today as I had a bit of wrap left over from the hood job. I’m getting good at this and I don’t mind working with this material. The only tricky bit was to get the wrap to sit properly on the corners.
A few tips:
(1) Be patient!! – if you rush it you will make mistakes, give yourself some time to work on a part. Give about an extra 3 cm excess wrap all around so that you have something to work with, you can always cut the excess wrap off but you can’t add it back on.
(2) Buy good quality wrap – The 3M wrap I bought was so easy to work with and only needs a little heat to stretch and reshape.
(3) Work the wrap from the inside out – start flattening the wrap from the centre out so that the air can escape, in the case of the mirror covers above I worked it from the flat part upwards. When I got to the corners I used a hair dryer to soften the wrap and then stretched it out as much as possible to get rid of the folds and bubbles.
To be honest I thought I did a better job with the mirrors than I did with the hood. I’m done for the moment, now its back to work, save up some cash and get the suspension kit.
Ok so I have finally got the headlights and the carbon fibre wrap on the hood.
It took a couple of hours to apply, firstly I had to wash the hood and then clean it with some isopropyl alcohol. The wrap was relatively simple to apply onto the hood, it was the first time I had tried it on such a big area but with some help from a friend we did an OK job. The wrap was the 3M scotchprint brand and was really easy to work with, bubbles came out easily with a bit of heat and re-applying the wrap. I guess I will leave it on for awhile to protect the hood from stone chips and scratches, apparently it has a lifespan of 3 to 5 years so I guess it will stay for that long (or until I sell the car or it dies). The good thing about it is that with a bit of heat the wrap comes straight off.
I also spent a few hours putting on the Audi style DRL headlights on. It was also very simple to attach, I did not have to do any soldering or cut any wires, all the attachments were supplied with the headlight kit and all I had to do was plug it in. The only thing I had to do was to pull the headlight levelling motor from the original headlights and put it into the new ones, everything else was pretty smooth sailing. My only complaint is that the headlight doesn’t fit exactly like the OEM ones. I’m pretty happy with them thou, they do add a little difference to my car as compared to the sea of Astras out there. I haven’t checked the lights at night yet so there may be further issues with the lights. The LEDs look great thou at dusk.
Well it looks like I have done as much as I can for the moment. Now will be saving up money time so that I can get the lowering suspension kit I wanted as well as maybe the rest of the Roose Motorsports silicon ancillary and breather hose kits.
Its been a long time since I last posted (six months in fact) and in that time so much has happened in my life that I have had hardly any time to do things to the Astra. Firstly I did my annual pilgrimage to Hong Kong and the fellas won all their bouts at the Choy Lay Fut International Kung Fu tournament. I also did some car spotting in Hong Kong – I must say I am always impressed by the calibre of hot looking cars there. I spotted this nice Ferarri parked in the backstreets of Mongkok, it was looking very out of place.
I also spotted a pair of Mercs that looked like it had a Brabus makeover. The rims were looking very sweet, apart from that the cars were pretty much stock looking – I didn’t really have a look under the hood so I can’t really say what had been done to them.
Then there was this thing… It looked like it was on stilts, very ugly.
I had a great time in HK once again but that wasn’t all that happened. I also became a dad for the second time this year with the birth of my son in November. Xavier has been keeping my wife and I up all night for over a month now and I don’t think it is going to stop anytime soon. Here he is with big sister Isabella.
I’ve also been looking for a new job, I feel that after ten years in one place it’s time for a seachange, so the Astra has been left on the side for quite some time. I did buy some small bits for it thou:
Some chrome air vents.
A new pair of Heko wind deflectors from Poland as well as tinting the windows (I got it done by a pro and was worth every cent).
I also did some more colour coding.
Stay tuned as in the next few days I wil be carbon fibre wrapping the hood and putting in those Audi style DRL lights I bought a few months ago. Once again Happy New Year everyone.