Ok so I have finally got the headlights and the carbon fibre wrap on the hood.
It took a couple of hours to apply, firstly I had to wash the hood and then clean it with some isopropyl alcohol. The wrap was relatively simple to apply onto the hood, it was the first time I had tried it on such a big area but with some help from a friend we did an OK job. The wrap was the 3M scotchprint brand and was really easy to work with, bubbles came out easily with a bit of heat and re-applying the wrap. I guess I will leave it on for awhile to protect the hood from stone chips and scratches, apparently it has a lifespan of 3 to 5 years so I guess it will stay for that long (or until I sell the car or it dies). The good thing about it is that with a bit of heat the wrap comes straight off.
I also spent a few hours putting on the Audi style DRL headlights on. It was also very simple to attach, I did not have to do any soldering or cut any wires, all the attachments were supplied with the headlight kit and all I had to do was plug it in. The only thing I had to do was to pull the headlight levelling motor from the original headlights and put it into the new ones, everything else was pretty smooth sailing. My only complaint is that the headlight doesn’t fit exactly like the OEM ones. I’m pretty happy with them thou, they do add a little difference to my car as compared to the sea of Astras out there. I haven’t checked the lights at night yet so there may be further issues with the lights. The LEDs look great thou at dusk.
Well it looks like I have done as much as I can for the moment. Now will be saving up money time so that I can get the lowering suspension kit I wanted as well as maybe the rest of the Roose Motorsports silicon ancillary and breather hose kits.
I started working on the brakes yesterday with a friend and only got the front ones done when the usual Melbourne weather turned dark and rainy. It makes it much easier and faster when there is an extra pair of hands working with you as things just seem to get done faster. Changing the front brake rotors and pads was pretty straight forward, only hitch was having the right size allen key to loosen the bolts holding the caliper to the rotor – so off to supercheap auto we went – this is a given when I work on cars, there is always a last minute stop to an auto shop to buy something, today we got a set of allen keys, some brake anti squeal compound and got back to work. I fitted some RDA slotted rotors to replace the OEM ones which came with the car when I bought it, I doubt if they had ever been changed as the bolts holding the calipers in place were so tight we almost used a full can of WD 40 just to loosen the bolts.
Today we started working on the rear brakes, again the bolts were so tight but with a bit of WD 40 and perseverance we got the bolts off, nothing a bit of brute force and leverage can’t overcome. Once the bolts were off everything was easy to put back together until it was time to push the piston back in so that we could get it over the new brake pads (which were twice the size of the old ones) – no amount of force on the G-clamp seemed to work so I went onto www.opelaus.com to search for an answer – needless to say you needed a special rewind tool to wind back the piston while pushing it back in – SO AGAIN off the supercheap we went – the tool was relatively cheap at $15.95 and much needed for this particular job.
It was a strange little thing – you fixed it onto an extension and then onto a rachet which made the rewinding so so easy – seriously I cannot recommend this tool enough if you are going to do your own brakes, especially the rear brakes. We got it all done today so now with the bedding in.
Well I got most of the priority work done so this week I may visit some wreckers to see what other bits and pieces I can get for the car, I have spotted an Astra turbo in a wreckers recently so I may go out and check if the leather seats and door trims are still there, if I can pick them up for cheap I may have yet another project to do. I also bought a set of headlights on Ebay, the Audi style ones with the DRL strip on the bottom, I will be waiting eagerly for these to arrive.
this is the way I use the spanners to loosen really tight bolts